Sunday, April 10, 2011

The never ending Apron Journey

It now seems many weeks ago that I embarked on this Apron Journey. I set out to make 80 aprons, but due to some mathematical errors and my limited experience in sewing, I miscalculated how much fabric it would take to make a 55cm wide apron. And for those who, like me, do not know much about sewing, the answer is not 55cm. I should have added in the extra 1-2cm on either sides for the double folds that make the apron look nice and finished. OK, so now we know that. It takes at least 60cm to make a 55cm wide apron. So, I'm making 76 aprons. Three of them turned out as rejects, so the end result is 73 aprons. Not bad, for my first go at "mass production".
There's a great hand-made movement going on in the western world today. Community Markets are springing up everywhere and there's no excuse to buy factory-made if you wish for something with more character and story behind it. Etsy, Got Craft?, ArtFire, Made It, are just some of the few online stores and sources. I have perused these sites for months with a mixture of awe and (sometimes) a feeling of "hey, I can do that". 
 
I jumped into this venture head on, with both feet, flop! I did not think it would be easy, because if it were, everyone would do it (I mean more than those already on Etsy, Made It, Big Cartel, etc). But I thought it would be easier. I thought the hard part was behind me once the decision had been made to give it a go. But, so many steps! All the preparation! You cannot print and sew an apron (or anything else for that matter) on a messy kitchen table or on your way home on the bus or while watching TV on the couch. This is not knitting. No, screen printing and sewing and ironing and counting and measuring fabric and burning screens and re-stretching silk mesh, takes your full attention and requires some prep time before setting up. Gah!
 
Due to my lack of sewing skills/ knowledge, Little Viking & Bike has recruited an employee! Or perhaps he is an intern? Hopefully he's a volunteer. Maybe I should clarify this with him. In any case, he has already been awarded "Employee of the Month". I have the feeling he will also be the recipient next month. Below you can see proof of  why my new volunteer (really, who has overhead for paid employees nowadays?) has received the "Employee of the Month": hard at work, sewing away, both day and night.
 
 

So, my hat's off to all the crafts people out there. The dedication and hours of work is motivational to say the least. My Apron Journey is still going strong. I am determined.  I have a n Intern. Or was that a volunteer? And, as much as I complain about the multiple steps and preparation, I love it. I'm really not complaining, but merely explaining my deep fascination and expressing my awe at the other crafts people out there. I am truly amazed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're "intern" is kinda' cute. ; )