Monday, April 18, 2011

A Handmade Stamp

As you may have noticed the Little Viking is gone. Last I heard she's out biking somewhere in the sunshine, drinking beer and trying to prove that the earth is indeed flat. In any case, you can't trust Little Vikings with your business.

So, I guess it's just you and me now.

I'm back to creating a logo/stamp for my products with the new shop name, You & Mia. I decided the best way to get a truly handmade feel is to, well, make it by hand. Go figure.

Linocut is pretty self-explanatory.  You do need to pay attention though or you may inadvertently cut out the wrong part of the pattern. Also, keep your free hand behind the cutting tool. It's easy to accidentally jab your hand as the tool slips out of the linoleum. Not a nice feeling. The natural thing to do is to mark the linoleum with your design and carve out the marks, only to realize you want to carve our everything else except the markings. It's that whole negative/positive print thing. Don't be confused. Just look at the photos below.









No comments: