Sunday, March 27, 2011

Into the Wild...really wild


A trip to Kenya got me all into the wild. The one week safari started immediately upon arrival in Nairobi. There was no time to lose. We arrived to the Masai Mara jet-lagged, tired, and feeling achy after 10 hours of driving on Kenyan potholes, I mean roads. Kenya is an amazing country, rich with culture, fantastic wildlife, smiling faces and, potholes. With some common sense, safety precautions and a good guide book, Kenya is a traveler's paradise.
 Most tourists consider it a "goal" to see the Big Five: Lions, Buffalo, Elephant, Rhinos and Leopards. It is a humbling experience and one that is not forgotten. For the purpose of my t-shirt prints I decided on my own Big Five, the Big Four: an elephant, a buffalo, a zebra (no picture) and a giraffe (because where else in nature do you find such great patterns than on a giraffe?).


These prints were made by cutting out a transparency with an exacto knife. I wanted each animal to appear like a stamp, simple edges and visible from afar. Knowing what I know now about screen printing I would like to revisit the Kenya wildlife theme. I am certain that I can do the giraffe more justice, taking advantage of the aforementioned fantastic natural patterns on its body.

No comments: